Day 6: 30 Day Song Challenge. A song that reminds you of somewhere.
"Little Pigeon and Crazy Horse" by Cusco, on the the album Apurimac III.
The video has pretty horrible sound quality, but I truly love this album. My aunt, and then my mother, listened to it on repeat for an entire year (maybe more) of my life. That year, we took a family trip out west, and caravanned through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana, and I think the initial album purchase was in preparation for the cool nature and history we'd get to see along the way. I loved it all. Especially because I had Cassie (my stepsister) pretty much all to myself for the whole trip, and since I was in about the 6th grade at the time, I thought she was the coolest and most amazing person ever. (Still do.)
The songs on the album are nowhere near real Native American music. They've got synthesizers and crazy base lines and drum set solos. But, to me, this song will always remind me of driving along long flat stretches of roads with grasses stretching to each side of the car, and stopping all along the way. We saw huge mountains, stalked buffaloes 20 feet from the car, played in pee-colored snow on the side of the road in shorts, marveled at the spectacular geysers in Yellowstone, and played spades as a family every night.
No comments:
Post a Comment